Monday, August 18, 2008

Cheapskate Demos - Yes, Please



As I was logging in to write this, I saw a headline that Laurence Fishburne has joined the CSI cast, and of course that made me thinks of It of I Love New York 2 fame claiming he got the address of the house from "Larry Fishburne." bwhahahahhahhaha. Am I alone here?

Well, then, moving on. I got an email today from someone who reads the Music Careers website I write who was quite indignant that I suggested that a person should not spend a lot of money on recording a demo in an expensive studio. I should note this is not the first time I have gotten such an email on the same subject (usually, they're from people who work in studios - funny, that). Gotta tell you, I totally stand by what I wrote. Spending a lot of money on a demo is dumb. If you're going to be selling your recording - essentially releasing it yourself - while you're shopping it around (see more about this below), then investing in the recording makes sense. If you're not, then you're just wasting your money. Record labels know demos might be rough. It's kind of expected. No record label in the history of record labels has ever said, "wow, this music is kind of crap, but the demo is so professional! Draw up the contract!"

OK, you're right. I can't 100% prove that, but really. Come on.

Music is reeeeaaaaallllly expensive, and so when you spend money on something, you have to spend it wisely. Like buying me a present. Just kidding. But the spending wisely thing stands, and I spending tons of cash on a demo is not good spendin'. That's what I think anyway - you can let me know if you disagree. (Or if you want to talk about It from ILNY2, well, we can do that, too.)

(By the way, speaking of the ILNY2 cast, how creepy is The Entertainer on I Love Money? Ewwww, he makes me want to take a shower. I don't remember him being quite this bad on the other show.)