Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Glasgow Underground Song



How have I never heard this songs before? I wish I could post the video, but embedding has been disabled (which I have to say is pure fuckin' daft, man). Anyway, check it out here. The video above is a consolation prize: I Belong To Glasgow, complete with video tour shot from the front seat of a car. I thought I was going to enjoy it, but it has actually made me a bit emotional.

I remember reading about the Glasgow Underground in a guidebook before I arrived in the city. The book made it sound like a big attraction, but I have to tell you, even as a big Glasgow fan, it's a bit crap, really. The route is just a big circle, the trains are REALLY small (I stand a whopping 5'2", and I nearly always had to bend down), and it's got a really odd smell. The guidebooks to Glasgow - which I found to be way off the mark in every single way - suggest that the locals call the tube the "Clockwork Orange," because of the circular route and for the fact that the trains are orange. I never, ever heard anyone call it that, except to say, "people call it the Clockwork Orange." Who is calling it that? No one seems to know.

In case you're interested, more bad advice from Glasgow guidebooks:

- Don't ever go to the southside - it's dangerous. (I never lived anywhere else. Some kids did throw rocks at me when I was running through The Gorbals during a 5K, but other than that, no problems.)

- When the locals order drinks, they order "a wee nip and a huff." (That's a pretty big assumption, and I don't think I've ever had anyone tell me they want a wee nip and a huff when it was my turn to get a round in.)

- When someone asks you which team you support, say Partick Thistle. (Don't come to Glasgow and start talking football at all is good advice, but come on, no one's going to believe you support The Jags.)