Sunday, November 23, 2008

Louder Than Words, Plus Ninjaman vs Supercat Sting '91, Because Why Not?



I've got a big assignment due tomorrow AM, plus a looming, end of the month deadline, so you know what that means - time to update my blog! So, I mentioned before about reading Wake The Town and Tell The People, Norman C. Stolzoff's book about dancehall culture. I was quite late to the party in reading it to begin with, and it took me ages to finish because I kept having to stop and read things Statistics with Stata (it's as good as it sounds), but I finally made it through. And...

Loved it. The approach is very academic, granted, and so that makes it a little clinical and really at odds its subject. On the other hand, I've been a big dancehall fan for a long time now, and I still learned a ton. Plus, wow, there is so, so little written about this kind of music that it's great to see a book like this.

Stolzoff isn't done yet, either. The video above is the trailer for his documentary, Louder Than Words. It's been in the works for a few years now, there was a round of press about it earlier this year, and from what I can find online, he's hoping the film will be released in 2009 - though in the fine tradition of dancehall, info online is hard to come by. Anyone know anything about it? Why do I have a feeling it's not coming to a North Carolina theater soon? Anyway, can't wait to see it. Ricky Trooper, aw, yeah....

And the video below - Ninjaman vs Supercat - sure, it's a little random, as my little sister would say, but hey, I'm watching it. Why not you?