Sunday, September 28, 2008

Burro Banton, Cutty Ranks, Supercat, Etc, Etc...



I was planning on writing about Wackies today but somewhere along the line I lost the will. So, instead of doing that (and also instead of doing the million and one other things I should be doing), I started watching videos on YouTube. I recently ordered a DVD of the 1986 Stereo Mars People's National Party rally, aka the best gig ever, and so to tide me over while I'm waiting, I decided to watch the video of Cutty Ranks at said rally. The video is on tons of sites, but I'll post it down at the bottom anyway, because it's so, so good.

While watching that video I came across the video posted above, which I have now watched, oh, 80, 90 times. No exaggeration. OK, so you're right, maybe a little exaggeration. I love watching these old videos of Cutty Ranks. When I was just getting into this kind of stuff and was randomly buying tapes from the reggae section, Cutty Ranks From Mi Heart was one of the albums that made me fall in love with music. I still listen to it all the time (although I have upgraded to CD). I haven't liked anything he's been doing lately, unfortunately. I love seeing Supercat like this, too. I know he eventually did a song with Sugar Ray, and while I'm not justifying it, I forgive him. So anyway, I hope you like the videos, too. I'd like to post more of them, but hey, this can only be so long. Maybe next time.