Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Winston Riley Productions


I haven't blogged in awhile, and sure, I've been busy, but part of the problem is that I'm losing hours a day to this record. It's fairly old..I think it came out in 2002 or 2003 and I've heard it maybe a million times. I've loved it long time, but my recent rapture with it started when I decided to write a profile of the Techniques label (I don't know why because if the success of my profile of Upsetter Records is any indication, my About.com readers seemingly have little interest in indulging my obsessions). The profile is still unfinished, along with a great deal of other work now, and yet I just keep listening and listening and listening. I'm overcome with the desire to shout about it from the rooftops, and here we are.

So, Winston Riley started out as a singer in the 60s in Jamaica. His group was called Techniques and they made their first record with Coxsone Dodd (I think). Actually, the Jamaican music scene during this time, with Coxsone Dodd, Studio One, Joe Gibb, Amalgamated, Lee "Scratch" Perry, etc is really cool and a really good story, but I won't bore you with it here (unless you like to talk Jamaican record labels, in which case I don't know where you've been all my life, but call me).

Anyway, Riley gave up on the singing and became a producer, probably one of the best (the Stalag riddim is his), and he also started Techniques Records. This comp puts together tracks he produced between 1986 - 1991. Ah, those golden days...the birth of dancehall. Sort of. This comp is a great introduction if you don't know much about it, and even if you do and you know these songs, this record just really hangs well together. What I'm saying is, you should get it now. And when you do, just try telling me these aren't the best tracks:

- A Fi Fly Out - Daddy Lizard
- Boops - Super Cat (a true classic - almost makes you forgive Super Cat for all of those ill conceived collaborations)
- Hol a Fresh - Red Dragon
- Bill a Spliff - Flourgon

Well, never mind, the whole thing is fab. Go on and get it. And then get this, too: